Sunday, October 16, 2011

Our First Post

MyKel and I on one of our adventures this summer


Hello fans, 

This has been a great week for the newest Hazard family around. The only bad part about this week is that MyKel left me for the weekend to go to Utah. Her little cousin got baptized and she got to spend time with Grandma Laura (who Laura MyKel was named after). Grandma Laura is having surgery on her hip this week, so she will be in our prayers. On Friday night, Troy, Krista, Monica and I all went to the ice caves! It was a lot of fun. There were a lot of big puddles that Troy blasted through in his Jeep, and we almost got stuck once. That's when Troy informed us that he wasn't in 4-wheel drive. I have sad news for all ice-cave fans...it is now filled with graffiti! I don't know why people would go and ruin such a beautiful and fun place with spray paint. And it wasn't even cool graffiti, it was really ugly. Anyways, we still had a fun time and it was nice to spend time with my brother and 2 cousins. On the way home we stopped at the sand dunes and made a fire with wood that we found by the North Fork of the Teton River. Troy also showed me how to make a toilet bomb, which was pretty cool. 

Yesterday Greg invited me to go golfing. The last time I went golfing was just over 3 years ago, at the end of my mission, at the highest golf course in the world! It was not very well maintained, but it was still a lot of fun. So Troy, Courtney, Greg and I all went golfing at the Heise golf course. It was really a fun course. We played 9 holes, and I did better than I can ever remember doing in the past. I always remember golf being a very frustrating game for me, just like bowling. I don't think I've ever thrown a golf club yet, but I know I've wanted to. Yesterday was different. Most of the balls I hit went in the general direction that I was trying to hit them, and I ended the day not wanting to throw my club in the bushes. 

After golf, Greg rushed me to the plasma center, where I was just on time. I earned my $30 while reading a book for my Oceanography class entitled "In the Heart of the Sea." It is a pretty good book so far and I think I will enjoy it. The remainder of the night was spent studying Physics and Calculus II all by my lonesome in our apartment. However, it was less lonely than it could have been, due to the fact that before she left, MyKel placed sticky star notes all over the apartment with little sweet messages on them for me. She really is a sweetheart and is always doing sweet things like that for me. She also baked me a ton of cookies and left them for me to eat!

Today I was set apart at church as first counselor in the Elder's quorum. This calling came as a shock to me, especially since I didn't even know that we were getting a new Elder's quorum president or anything. I am quite nervous, but the president and second counselor are really great guys. I think this will be good for me to get out of my comfort zone and go to work. I am going to do my best and I know that the Lord will help me if I am faithful and seek His guidance. 

I can't wait to see MyKel tonight! She is the best wife ever! We are giving talks next week on patience, so we will let you know how it goes. Stay tuned...

4 comments:

  1. I get to be the first one to comment on your blog! yay for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Colby. You're a good writer. That was quite enjoyable to read!
    -Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you have a blog now, it seems we never talk to you anymore, so I'm glad we can find out what you are up to! congrats on becoming 1st counselor in the elder's quorum. That's really cool Colby, you'll be great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to burst your bubble Allison Kay, but Colby secretly posted this exact same post on his other blog (with posts back to November 2006). And then I commented on this post on (copy, paste): "October 16, 2011 9:14 PM", one day and forty five minutes before you! But the thing that ruins this all is that the post on the other blog was titled "I Miss MyKel!" and here it is simply "Our First Post." I guess you're right, you were the first one to comment on this particular blog, but can you have .75 points, and I .25? :)

    ReplyDelete